Advertise With Us

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The First Interview: Downing on Reds

Stewart Downing spoken of his elation at completing his transfer to Liverpool and insisted the Reds were the only club he was interested in joining this summer.

The England international put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the club on Friday to tie up his switch from Aston Villa.

STEWART DOWNING SIGNING FOR LIVERPOOL Now Downing can't wait to get his Liverpool career up and running and has set his sights on helping bring silverware back to Anfield.

"It's a great feeling and I'm very happy to be here," the 26-year-old told Liverpoolfc.tv. "It's been a long time coming and I've had to wait a few weeks, but I'm really pleased to be here.

"With the tradition, the manager and the players they have here, there was a big temptation to come here and once I knew of their interest, there was only one place I wanted to go."

He added: "It will be a great feeling to run out at Anfield. It's always nice to come and play here. The atmosphere is always great and the fans are brilliant.

"When I wanted to come to Liverpool, it was the first thing I thought of - playing at Anfield in front of those great fans. I'm really looking forward to it."

STEWART DOWNING SIGNING FOR LIVERPOOL Downing became Liverpool's fourth major signing of a busy summer so far, following in the footsteps of Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni.

And the winger is determined to repay Kenny Dalglish's faith in bringing him to Merseyside.

On his aims for his Reds career, Downing said: "It would be nice to win something. I'm sure that's the same objective for everyone, not just me personally.

"My aim is to be in the team, to play well and give something back because the manager has pushed the boat out to get me here, so hopefully I can give him something back."

Downing's acquisition significantly bolsters the options at Dalglish's disposal for 2011-12, with the new signing capable of operating comfortably on either flank.

He admits, however, that he'll be happy to fill in wherever the gaffer sees fit.

Downing said: "It depends on where the manager sees me playing. Last season at Aston Villa I played on the right, I can play on the left.

"Getting a few goals and a few assists for the lads up front, that's what I'm hoping for."

Source: Liverpool FC Official

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter.

0 comments:

Advertise With Us