Advertise With Us

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Steven Gerrard to play on for five more years and wants Kenny Dalglish as Liverpool's permanent manager

The Liverpool captain, Steven Gerrard, has set himself the target of playing for another five years.

The England midfielder, 31 in May, admits he has been lifted by Kenny Dalglish's return as manager and he wants to carry on playing for as long as possible, although he has considered taking his coaching badges.

"It's not my main priority or focus at the moment, I still think that's a long way off," he told LFC Weekly. "I believe I can play football for another four or five years but I do sometimes think about what I'm going to do when I finish playing.

"I would like to stay involved in some capacity, whether that's on the media side or in the dug-out we'll have to wait and see. I will certainly try to get my coaching qualifications at some point."

Liverpool training session Steven Gerrard has also told Liverpool's owners to look no further than Kenny Dalglish for the club's next permanent manager as they commenced their squad overhaul by agreeing to sell Ryan Babel to Hoffenheim.

Now Gerrard, who was consulted by the then managing director, Christian Purslow, regarding Hodgson's arrival last summer, has lent his influential voice to the Dalglish campaign. "I want to do everything in my power to ensure that he stays here for a long time, beyond the initial six months," the Liverpool captain said.

"I'd love nothing better when the end of the season comes than for us to be on the back of a good run of results that ensures he gets the job full-time. That's my short-term plan, to give everything I've got and all my energy to try to make that happen. I won't lie. When Kenny rang to say he was coming back it was a big lift. I love Kenny as a person and I've certainly enjoyed the first few days we've had working with him. I can see a positive future for Kenny at the club."

Dalglish is without a win in his first three matches back at Liverpool but has vanquished the disharmony that surrounded Hodgson's reign and, certainly against Everton on Sunday, has overseen an improved performance level. The 59-year-old has also been without Gerrard since the 32nd minute of his comeback game, the FA Cup defeat at Manchester United, but the midfielder insists Dalglish has the backing of the entire squad.

Gerrard added: "I think Kenny is the perfect person to get everyone moving in the right direction again. He's the talisman at this club. His nickname, the King, says it all really. He's the perfect manager and also the person to bring it all together. It's time to regroup and for us all to be pulling in the right direction because this season certainly hasn't been good enough."

Source: Guardian UK

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter.

0 comments:

Advertise With Us