Match Preview: Liverpool v Sevilla

The Reds will return to Champions League action on Wednesday when they face Sevilla at Anfield.

Liverpool held by Sevilla in Champions League opener

Liverpool began their Champions League group stage campaign with a 2-2 draw with Sevilla at Anfield on Wednesday.

Match Day: Liverpool 1-1 Burnley

Liverpool endured a frustrating afternoon at Anfield as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Burnley on Saturday.

Goal Highlights: Liverpool 1-1 Burnley

Liverpool is keen to make up for the frustration of Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Burnley.

Advertise With Us

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Transfer deadline: Liverpool signs Coates and allows midfielder to leave

Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Uruguay international Sebastian Coates on a long-term contract.

The 20-year-old completed his transfer from Nacional after passing a medical and securing a work permit earlier today. Coates will now link up with his international teammates ahead of their friendly in Kiev on Friday night.

Liverpoolfc.tv brings you up to speed with 10 interesting facts.

1. Coates is nicknamed 'Luganito' by Uruguay fans because he's seen as the natural successor to the captain of the national team, Diego Lugano. Indeed, Lugano has previously said himself that he expects Coates to go on to skipper the national team.

2. Coates's signing now means Liverpool have two Copa America winners in their squad - Luis Suarez, crowned player of the tournament, and Sebastian Coates, young player of the tournament.

3. Standing at a towering 6ft and 6 inches, Sebastian comes close to being the Reds' tallest ever player - dwarfed only by Peter Crouch.

4. Coates shares his birthday with another giant ex-Red, Sami Hyypia. The duo were both born on October 7, a date that is also special for Simon Cowell and Alesha Dixon.

5. The 20-year-old has actually scored against a Liverpool side before - Liverpool Fútbol Club - who Coates faced whilst playing for Nacional.

6. In an interview with Ovacion, Coates revealed that it was talks with his fellow countryman Luis Suarez that helped persuade him to choose Liverpool. Coates said: "We chatted for quite a while, he told me it was a club with great history and tradition. He's doing well there and it's important to me because another Uruguayan will be there".

7. The Uruguayan shouldn't have too much trouble learning English. Sebastian's father, Peter, is an Englishman himself and the player has admitted previously to taking a couple of lessons off him.

8. Coates made his debut for Nacional against Bella Vista at the age of 17 and was afterwards voted man of the match by journalists from Spanish newspaper El Pais.

9. Since then the defender has started every single game for Nacional, withstanding suspension and national duty.

10. Coates is currently the only player in the current Uruguay squad who's never lost a game whilst playing for the national team.

Meanwhile, Liverpool FC also confirmed that they have reached agreement with Evian Thonon Gaillard for the transfer of Christian Poulsen.

The French side have now been given permission to talk to the Denmark international.

Christian Poulsen The Denmark international joined the Reds on a three-year contract from Juventus 12 months ago and was signed by Roy Hodgson.

However, he has struggled to make an impact under Hodgson's successor Kenny Dalglish and has not been involved so far this season.

A return to former club FC Copenhagen was ruled out earlier in the summer, while Poulsen was also linked with a loan move to Espanyol.

Ahead of Wednesday's transfer deadline, the 31-year-old has now emerged as a target for Evian, who are looking to make a splash in the French top flight this season.

Have you vote on this poll?

Source: Liverpool FC Official, Sky Sport

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Transfer deadline: Two more to join Liverpool and four players leaving

David N’gog should complete his protracted £4million move to Bolton Wanderers from Liverpool FC today.

David Ngog The 22-year-old Frenchman has been a long-time target of Trotters boss Owen Coyle, who is desperate to add a striker to his ranks before tomorrow's transfer deadline.

A fee for the former Paris St. Germain forward has been agreed in principle between the two clubs, and Bolton are prepared to match N’gog's Anfield salary, having already missed out on number one target Daniel Sturridge this summer.

N’gog is now expected to travel to the Reebok Stadium to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical, and a deal should be announced before the closure of the transfer window tomorrow evening.

N’gog has made 94 appearances since arriving at Anfield in 2008, scoring 19 goals, but has found himself surplus to requirements at Anfield this season, following Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish's close-season recruitment drive.

He was left out of the squad for last week's Carling Cup tie at Exeter City, and was again absent as the Reds swept aside his prospective new employers on Saturday evening to briefly top the Premier League table.

His imminent departure will, however, leave Dalglish's squad short of attacking depth. He has Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez and Dirk Kuyt as his forward options, but would ideally like to add another before tomorrow's deadline.

Manchester City misfit Craig Bellamy has been strongly linked, and would be receptive to a return to Anfield, but a move for the Welshman hinges on whether City are willing to release the 32-year-old on a free transfer, and to a potential Premier League rival.

Dalglish, meanwhile, has been busy lowering the Reds' wage bill in recent weeks, following more than £110m worth of investment in his squad since January.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Nabil El-Zhar and Emiliano Insua have all been sold, while Alberto Aquilani has joined AC Milan on loan with view to a permanent move. Both Joe Cole and Philipp Degen could follow them, if Queens Park Rangers follow up their initial interest in the pair.

Liverpool signing Sebastian Coates is due to have his work permit hearing today, and his current club Nacional have flown a delegation over to help with the case.

Also set for the Anfield exit door is midfielder Christian Poulsen, with Spanish side Espanyol keen to end the Dane's miserable year on Merseyside.

Poulsen joined the Reds from Juventus for £4.5million last summer, but has failed to make an impact, and made just 12 league appearances last season.

He was left out of Denmark's squad for their forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifier with Norway this week, with manager Morten Olsen claiming he was suffering from stress due to his uncertain club future.

Poulsen himself would welcome a return to former club FC Copenhagen, but the Danes are unlikely to meet his wage demands, and Espanyol hope to tie up a deal for the 32-year-old in the next 48 hours.

Have you vote on this poll?

This story has been reproduced from the media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Source: Liverpool FC Official, Liverpool Echo

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Chelsea bid for Liverpool midfielder

Chelsea were planning to make an improved offer for Raul Meireles on Monday night after Liverpool rejected their opening bid of £8 million plus Yossi Benayoun.

Meireles can leave Liverpool, and has been available for sale at £11 million, but it is understood that Liverpool would rather he went overseas than join another Premier League club, particularly Chelsea.

Raul Meireles Indeed it is thought that Chelsea’s renewed interest in Meireles — who is greatly admired by manager André Villas-Boas — has already led to an increase in the fee being demanded by Liverpool. However, Chelsea are desperate to conclude the deal and will make a new cash bid.

Sources have indicated Liverpool do not want to re-sign Benayoun, who would like to return to the club he left last summer for £5 million. The Israeli is almost certain to leave Chelsea and it remains more likely he will join French champions Lille. There has been tentative contact from Arsenal — who have also inquired about Benayoun’s Chelsea team-mate Alex — but no bid has been made.

Meireles is unsure of his future at Liverpool and whether he fits into the plans of manager Kenny Dalglish, who has bought several midfielders this summer. There has been interest in him from Serie A Liverpool would rather he did not stay in England.

Villas-Boas only worked briefly with Meireles at Porto but there is a mutual admiration and the Chelsea manager would welcome him at his club especially if he failed to land Modric. It is believed that Villas-Boas has decided against bidding for another midfielder, Porto’s Joao Moutinho who he had considered as an alternative to Modric.

Liverpool is understood to be in the market for a backup striker, if Chelsea are ready to do business, Daniel Sturridge should be the one who will be in the player plus cash makeweight deal.

Let’s us know what are your thoughts on this deal? Are Liverpool FC going to part with Meireles this summer? Leave your comments below.

Have you vote on this poll?

This story has been reproduced from the media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Source: Telegraph

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Sebastian Coates transfer hinged on working permit

Kenny Dalglish refused to discuss the imminent arrival of Sebastian Coates at Liverpool after watching his side return to the top of the Premier League table for the first time in over two years.

Uruguay international defender Coates was at Anfield on Saturday to witness an entertaining 3-1 win over Bolton which maintained the Merseyside club's unbeaten start to the campaign.

The 20-year-old is set to complete a £7 million (7.9m euros) move from Nacional before Wednesday's transfer deadline, and his arrival will take Dalglish's spending to £115 million since he returned to take charge of Liverpool last January.

Dalglish, however, was reluctant to talk about the transfer until it is completed.

Our guess are the working permit, which it will take time to process before Coates can put pen to paper on his transfer to Liverpool.

Have you vote on this poll?

This story has been reproduced from the media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Premier League: Liverpool 3-1 Bolton

Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam opened their competitive accounts as Liverpool went top of the league with a 3-1 win over Bolton Wanderers on Saturday tea-time.

Martin Skrtel was the other scorer on a day when Kenny Dalglish's boys treated their supporters to a superb exhibition of football.

Ivan Klasnic fired a consolation in injury-time but the Reds now lead the pack on goal difference ahead of Sunday's fixtures after completing their best start to a league season for 17 years.

Andy Carroll had to settle for a place on the bench for the visit of Owen Coyle and co, who last season had the worst away record in the Barclays Premier League. That meant Dirk Kuyt partnered Luis Suarez up front.

The opening exchanges were characterised by Liverpool playing some sumptuous football, Charlie Adam the puppeteer in midfield while Suarez and Kuyt played like Jacks who refused to go in their boxes.

The only surprise when the home side opened the scoring was that it took 15 minutes. Suarez was the architect with a swerving cross struck with the outside of his right foot. Downing's first-time volley was saved by Jussi Jaaskelainen but Henderson was there to guide the ball into the top corner before wheeling away in ecstasy.

Bolton attempted an instant reply but Pepe Reina was on guard and aware to block Martin Petrov's hit.

The game was developing into an open affair and Liverpool could have added to their lead twice in quick succession, first when Adam bypassed the Bolton defence with a lofted ball to Suarez, then when Henderson centred to Kuyt. On both occasions the strikers just failed to connect.

Next Henderson played Suarez clean through. The Uruguayan could have gone either way round Jaaskelainen but instead chose the lob and was unfortunate to hit the roof of the net.

The crowd were jubilant at the football they were witnessing - the pass and move philosophy being played out before their eyes.

But not everything was going Dalglish's way. On 30 minutes the Scot was forced to swap Martins - the injured Kelly being replaced by fit again Skrtel.

Kuyt was next to threaten before the break, angling over from 12 yards after another neat move from the hosts.

The final act of the period saw Gretar Steinsson cautioned for handball right on the chalk of the penalty area. Referee Lee Probert enraged the Liverpool players by not awarding a penalty but those in red should have done better with the free-kick.

The question now was whether Liverpool could avoid a repeat of their opening day draw with Sunderland, when a superb first half was followed by a languid second.

The answer came seven minutes after the restart when Skrtel head butted an Adam corner into the Kop net.

A minute later, with The Fields of Anfield Road still echoing across L4, Adam made it 3-0 with a right-foot drive into the bottom corner from 25 yards. It was party time inside English football's most atmospheric stadium.

Suarez almost made it four after rounding Jaaskelainen but it was the side and not the back of the net that rippled.

The crowd were on their feet again on 77 minutes when Maxi replaced Henderson - the latter receiving a standing ovation for his man of the match display.

Skrtel almost collected a second goal with 80 minutes on the clock, while substitute Carroll swivelled before firing wide inside the box.

Liverpool's final chance of the game fell to Downing, who cut inside after a dribble down the left before firing over the crossbar into the Kop choir.

But it was Klasnic who had the last word, pouncing after a superb Jamie Carragher tackle looked to have halted Petrov.

By: Jimmy Rice

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Video Highlights: Liverpool 3-1 Bolton

Source: FootyTube.com

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Aquilani completes move to AC Milan

Alberto Aquilani has completed his loan transfer from Liverpool to AC Milan.

The deal, which includes the option of a permanent move, will end on June 30, 2012.

The 27-year-old spent last season on loan at Juventus before returning to Anfield earlier this summer.

Milan had been looking to reinforce their midfield line following the departure of veteran Andrea Pirlo to Juventus earlier this summer.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.tv earlier about the move, Kenny Dalglish said: "It's a great move for Alberto. He's got his wife and kid over there. It was difficult for him here.

"When he came back his pre-season training was excellent. We gave him a few games, he did well in those games. But the problem for us was trying to get him in the team. We couldn't get him in the team.

"Obviously everybody wants to play and Alberto is moving over to a fantastic football club. He goes there with the best wishes of everyone and we hope it works out for him, because he was never a problem in any way, shape or form."

Have you vote on this poll?

Source: Liverpool FC Official

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Official: Emiliano Insua joins Sporting Lisbon

Emiliano Insua According to Emiliano Insua’s Twitter post, the Argentinean left-back has joined Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon.

The Argentine was fallen behind Jose Enrique, Fabio Aurelio and Jack Robinson for the left-back berth in the Liverpool squad. He has now agreed a deal to join Sporting on a permanent basis, and departs Merseyside with immediate effect.

We wish Emiliano the best of luck in his football future with Sporting.

Have you vote on this poll?

This story has been reproduced from the media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Source: Twitter

Stay tune for more news and follow me on Twitter. Get the LIVE match day PTT banter on Loudtalks.

Advertise With Us